How-to guide to reduce corporate
and political surveillance on
Follow our step-by-step guide to block Facebook from profiting from all the information it collects about you, your family, and your friends. Taking these steps will make Facebook safer — and send a message that we will not be manipulated.
1. Go to fbpurity.com/install.htm and install FB Purity app on your browser
2. Go to facebook.com/ads/preferences
3. Under Your interests, click Clear Interests with FBP.
4. Under Advertisers, click Clear Advertisers with FBP.
5. Under Your Information, toggle the following to off:
6. Under Your Information, delete Your Categories, remove each one individually by clicking the X
7. Under Ad settings, set the following categories to:
Ads based on data from partners to
Ads based on your activity on Facebook Company Products that you see elsewhere to No
Ads that include your social actions to No One
8. Go to facebook.com/settings?tab=privacy
9. In the Your activity section, set Who can see your future posts? to Friends:
10. In the How People Find and Contact You section, set the following to restrict marketers and scrapers:
Who can send you friend requests? Friends of friends
Who can see your friends list? Friends
Who can look you up using the email address you provided? Friends
Who can look you up using the phone number you provided? Friends
Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile? No
11. Go to facebook.com/settings?tab=facerec
12. Set Do you want Facebook to be able to recognize you in photos and videos? to No
13. Visit your profile page and click Friends
Click in the top right
Click Edit Privacy
Change Who can see the people, Pages and lists you follow? to Friends
Change Following to Friends
14. Install Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)’s Privacy Badger extension on your browser to stop tracking.
15. Don’t use Facebook to log in to other websites.
TELL THE FEDERAL TRADE
COMMISSION: IT'S TIME TO BREAK
UP FACEBOOK'S MONOPOLY.
The FTC should spin off Instagram,
WhatsApp, and Messenger into
competing networks, require
interoperability, so we have the
freedom to communicate across social networks, and impose strong privacy rules that empower and protect us.
IT'S TIME TO MAKE FACEBOOK SAFE FOR DEMOCRACY.
Tell the Federal
and sign the
BY SIGNING, YOU AGREE TO RECEIVE EMAIL MESSAGES FROM CITIZENS AGAINST MONOPOLY. YOU MAY
UNSUBSCRIBE AT ANY TIME.
Most of us use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger. They’re important ways for us to communicate and connect with each other.
But Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg have amassed a scary amount of power. Facebook unilaterally decides the news that billions of people around the world see every day. It buys up or bankrupts potential competitors to protect its monopoly, killing innovation and choice. It tracks us almost everywhere we go on the web and, through our smartphones, even where we go in the real world. It uses this intimate data hoard to figure out how to addict us and our children to its services. And then Facebook serves up everything about us to its true customers -- virtually anyone willing to pay for the ability to convince us to buy, do, or believe something.
And it is spending millions on corporate lobbyists, academics, and think tanks to ensure no one gets in their way.
The five members of the Federal Trade Commission, which is the part of our government tasked with overseeing Facebook, can make Facebook safe for our democracy by breaking it up, giving us the freedom to communicate across networks, and protecting our privacy.
Together, we will make sure that they do.